Teenagers are in that awkward stage in life when there are so many changes occurring within their bodies as well in their social and academic lives. From changing schools, colleges to playing sports and making new friends, the last thing teenagers want is metal braces that will make them stick out like a sore thumb. In such a scenario, clear aligners
come as a real blessing. With this option, they can receive orthodontic treatment
, but in a discrete manner.
What are Clear Aligners
Clear aligners have been around since the 1970s, but the technology has become more popular with recent advancements to address misaligned teeth
, also known as malocclusion. The patient is provided with a series of custom-made, clear plastic aligner trays that fit snugly around the teeth and are slightly tighter than the previous one. In this way, gentle pressure is continuously applied to shift the teeth into the desired position. Depending on usage and level of misalignment, treatment could take anything between 6-18 months. What’s best is that there are minimal visits to the orthodontist, meaning less time taken off from school too.
Reasons why Teenagers prefer Clear Aligners
- Teenagers are a self-conscious lot with appearances being a major concern. Adding visible braces into this melee can affect their self-esteem negatively. But with clear aligners that are almost invisible, they can get a well-aligned smile without anyone being the wiser about their orthodontic treatment!
- One of the features of clear aligners is that there are minimal visits to the orthodontist as compared to traditional braces. This convenience means less time taken off from school or college. Since the aligners fit snugly around the teeth, the teen can also engage in their favorite activities without fear of mishaps.
- As compared to the traditional steel braces, clear aligners are made of smooth plastic that doesn’t irritate the cheek lining or gums. With the clear aligner being custom-made for each patient, they are comfortable to wear as they go about their job of gently shifting the teeth into the right position.
- Braces can become a source of concern when teenagers are involved in high-impact sports. Traditional steel braces can get knocked out of place, resulting in mouth injuries. However, this doesn’t happen with the smooth and snug-fitting clear aligners.
- As compared with traditional braces, maintaining oral hygiene with clear aligners becomes a breeze. All you need do is pop out the aligners, brush and floss your teeth and pop them back in again.
- With clear aligners, you don’t have to change your diet and can still enjoy your favorite chewy or hard foods.
While there are over 2 dozen brands of aligners available today, OrthoFX clear aligners
stand out due to its unique triple-layered design structure that fits better, works faster and is easily available. Ready to book a consultation today?