What is a Clear Aligner - Advantages and Disadvantages
Are you planning to give yourself a smile makeover but confused which treatment to choose? If concerns focus around crooked or misaligned teeth then clear aligner treatment is a great choice. Clear aligners straighten crooked, crowded or irregularly spaced teeth as well as correct issues like overbite, underbite and crossbite.
What is a clear aligner?
A clear aligner is removable FDA cleared plastic tray or mold that is customized to fit an individual’s teeth to straighten them to a perfect smile. Aligners have to be worn over the treatment period with each stage gently applying pressure to move the teeth a a step at a time to its desired position. With a number of benefits to its credit, clear aligners have become the preferred choice over the traditional metal braces. However, a few disadvantages still tag along, which can be easily taken care of with detailed knowledge and orthodontist’s help.
- Aesthetics: Does the thought of visible metal every time you grin make you shudder about wearing braces? Simply choose clear aligners as these are almost invisible to the naked eye and the world will never know about your treatment.
- Comfort: No metal brackets means no pricks or pains. There will be minimal initial discomfort after changing into a new set of clear aligners every week. After your teeth adjust, you will barely feel its presence in your mouth.
- Removabie: Clear aligners can be easily removed while eating and brushing/flossing. Just take it out, clean them appropriately and wear them back without fearing about food getting stuck as is the case with metal braces. Easy removal makes it easy while brushing or flossing, as well, without compromising on oral hygiene.
- Fewer dentist visits: Since maintaining, removing and putting on a new set of clear aligners can be easily managed, frequent trips to a dentist or orthodontist is minimized if you choose. OrthoFX also offers FXOnTrack technology app to help communicate your treatment progress with your doctor from the comfort of home.
- Consistency: Clear aligners must be worn for 20-22 hours a day for best results. Removing them multiple times and then not wearing them back could slow down the treatment process.
- Loss: Easy removability can lead to loss if not worn back immediately after eating or brushing your teeth.
- Expense: With the evolution of technology involved in your doctors diagnosis, treatment planning, preparation and production of clear aligners, the fee *may* be higher than regular braces. However, with the launch of more brands and competitive pricing, affordability is less of an issue with more choices on the market. However, OrthoFX offers a NEW flexible financing program that has a high approval rating plus affordable monthly payments. The 24 month interest free program is meant to work with most budgets and makes the goal of a beautiful smile within your reach.
- Not for complex cases: Clear aligners can treat most teeth alignment issues, from simple to comprehensive ones. However, there are still some severe cases that might need more in-depth treatment.
While the above information will help you make a decision, an expert’s opinion is highly recommended as far as teeth-straightening is concerned. Schedule an appointment with an dentist or orthodontist at OrthoFX to know about our all-round treatment program to achieve a perfect smile.