Questions to Ask Yourself Before Choosing Clear Aligner Orthodontic Treatment
If your oral health has been impacted due to crowding and ill-spaced teeth – you should consider a smile upgrade. If clear aligners are on your mind as a treatment option and your orthodontist or dentist suggests them too, then you need to ask yourself the following questions before taking the plunge.
What are clear aligners?
Clear aligners are invisible, removable and customized trays made from advanced polymer materials (plastic) that fits onto your teeth and applies gentle pressure from either direction to facilitate tooth movement.
Why not traditional braces?
Metal braces are the most common and well known form of treatment for teeth straightening. But they have a number of drawbacks, such as:
- Metal allergy: If you are sensitive to metals, then it is best to avoid braces and choose the plastic-made aligners as an alternative
- Pricks and pains: The edges of the brackets and sometimes the wires can initially cause some discomfort due to the rough edges and irritate the inside of your lips and cheeks. Each time your have a wire change thru your treatment, you will have a few days of minor discomfort.
- Esthetics: If you do not want to give the world a glimpse of your metal braces every time you smile, then clear aligners are your best alternative.
What are the major advantages of clear aligners?
Clear aligners have a number of advantages:
- Easily removable: Unlike metal braces, clear aligners can be easily removed by yourself (no need for a trip to the dentist) whenever required.
- Oral hygiene: You can remove them while brushing your teeth or using a dental floss without compromising on oral hygiene.
- Self-confidence: Since it is almost invisible, you will not have to be self-conscious during social interactions, which can have a positive effect on self-confidence.
How fast do clear aligners work?
The results of treatment by clear aligners are visible week by week as each set of aligners work efficiently to move individual teeth into alignment — typically 6 months to 2 years — with good compliance wearing 20-22 hours a day you’ll have great results.
Who is eligible for clear aligners?
Clear aligners are recommended for patients who need correction for mild-to-moderately crowded or incorrectly spaced teeth. However, it works best for adults and teens with fully developed teeth and jaws and are not recommended for children. We recommend speaking with your dental professional for a consult as each case can present different treatment issues. But the good news is a large majority of orthodontic patients can be treated with clear aligners.
If you still have doubts on whether clear aligners are the best solution for your dental health issues, it is advisable to book an appointment with an orthodontist or dentist at OrthoFX. They would be the best person to clarify all your doubts and guide you through the advantages of this orthodontic treatment to achieve a perfect (and healthy) smile.